The truth is there is no definitive answer to this question. The number of words it will take to fill a page will depend on a number of factors including the type of font used, the font size, spacing elements, the margins used on the paper, the paragraph length, etc. For example, if the assignment says the writing should be in 10-point font, it’s going to take a greater number of words to fill a page than if the assignment requires a 12-point font.
For those who need a general rule of thumb, a typical page which has 1-inch margins and is typed in 12 point font with standard spacing elements will be approximately 500 words when typed single spaced. For assignments that require double spacing, it would take approximately 250 words to fill the page. For an assignment that requires you to write four pages, you can make the estimation that you’ll need to write approximately 2000 words for a single spaced paper, or 1000 words if the assignment is double spaced. Again, the type of font used can make the word count higher or lower, but it’s a good rule of thumb for those who are simply looking for a general estimation.
Since there can be a large variation on the number of words needed to fill a page, most papers are no longer assigned by page count. They are instead assigned by word count. That is, an assignment, essay or paper will likely be assigned as 1500 – 2000 words rather than 3 – 4 pages. This way it is much more difficult for the writer to “game the system” by using large fonts and excessive spacing to meet the writing criteria.
If you are given a writing assignment with a page number, the best thing to do is go directly to the person who made the assignment and ask for a word count. This will take away all the variations and help ensure your writing assignment meets expectations. If it’s for something informal and you simply need a general guideline, you can find it below.
How many pages is…
The below list is an approximation, and actual pages will differ depending on a number of factors mentioned earlier in this article. Use the below information for a general reference, but don’t assume it will be the case at all times. Here are basic word to pages conversions:
- 500 words is 1 page single spaced, 2 pages double spaced.
- 1,000 words is 2 pages single spaced 4 pages double spaced.
- 1,500 words is 3 pages single spaced, 6 pages double spaced.
- 2,000 words is 4 pages single spaced, 8 pages double spaced.
- 2,500 words is 5 pages single spaced, 10 pages double spaced.
- 3,000 words is 6 pages single spaced, 12 pages double spaced.
- 4,000 words is 8 pages single spaced, 16 pages double spaced.
- 5,000 words is 10 pages single spaced, 20 pages double spaced.
- 7,500 words is 15 pages single spaced, 30 pages double spaced.
- 10,000 words is 20 pages single spaced, 40 pages double spaced.
- 20,000 words is 40 pages single spaced, 80 pages double spaced.
- 25,000 words is 50 pages single spaced, 100 pages double spaced.
- 30,000 words is 60 pages single spaced, 120 pages double spaced.
- 40,000 words is 80 pages single spaced, 160 pages double spaced.
- 50,000 words is 100 pages single spaced, 200 pages double spaced.
- 60,000 words is 120 pages single spaced, 240 pages double spaced.
- 70,000 words is 140 pages single spaced, 280 pages double spaced.
- 75,000 words is 150 pages single spaced, 300 pages double spaced.
- 80,000 words is 160 pages single spaced, 320 pages double spaced.
- 90,000 words is 180 pages single spaced, 360 pages double spaced.
- 100,000 words is 200 pages single spaced, 400 pages double spaced.
Below are basic pages to words conversions:
- 1 page is 500 words single spaced, 250 words double spaced.
- 2 pages is 1,000 words single spaced, 500 words double spaced.
- 3 pages is 1,500 words single spaced, 750 words double spaced.
- 4 pages is 2,000 words single spaced, 1,000 words double spaced.
- 5 pages is 2,500 words single spaced, 1,250 words double spaced.
- 6 pages is 3,000 words single spaced, 1,500 words double spaced.
- 7 pages is 3,500 words single spaced, 1,750 words double spaced.
- 8 pages is 4,000 words single spaced, 2,000 words double spaced.
- 9 pages is 4,500 words single spaced, 2,250 words double spaced.
- 10 pages is 5,000 words single spaced, 2,500 words double spaced.
- 15 pages is 7,500 words single spaced, 3,750 words double spaced.
- 20 pages is 10,000 words single spaced, 5,000 words double spaced.
- 25 pages is 12,500 words single spaced, 6,250 words double spaced.
- 30 pages is 15,000 words single spaced, 7,500 words double spaced.
- 40 pages is 20,000 words single spaced, 10,000 words double spaced.
- 50 pages is 25,000 words single spaced, 12,500 words double spaced.
- 60 pages is 30,000 words single spaced, 15,000 words double spaced.
- 70 pages is 35,000 words single spaced, 17,500 words double spaced.
- 75 pages is 37,500 words single spaced, 18,750 words double spaced.
- 80 pages is 40,000 words single spaced, 20,000 words double spaced.
- 90 pages is 45,000 words single spaced, 22,500 words double spaced.
- 100 pages is 50,000 words single spaced, 25,000 words double spaced.
(Photo courtesy of Horia Varlan)
The word count for a page will vary depending on font size and type, margin size, and spacing elements (single/double space, blank lines, subheadings, graphics).
For a page with 1 inch margins, 12 point Times New Roman font, and minimal spacing elements, a good rule of thumb is 500 words for a single spaced page and 250 words for a double spaced page. Using this as an example, a 3-4 page double spaced paper is 750-1000 words, and a 7 page double spaced paper would be 1750 words.
Assignments often specify a research paper or essay length in terms of words, rather than pages - a paper of 750-1000 words or a paper of 1500-1750 words. This way a student's paper will still meet their instructor's length expectations, regardless of varying font size, margin size, or use spacing elements.
When viewing an electronic version of a student paper in MicroSoft Word, the exact word count can be easily determined. Some research assignments require students to include the word count of their paper.
Also, clarify with your instructor whether the words on the title page, abstract (if used), and reference list count toward the expected word/page count.