Retail cover letter
Your retail cover letter should take stock of your skills and experience. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for retail, or download the retail cover letter template in Word.
If your job opportunities feel like they're on layaway, it's time to take stock of your credentials. To be considered for top retail jobs, your cover letter must demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your customer service expertise. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for retail, or download the retail cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn about retail careers and look for retail jobs on Monster.
Retail letter template
Sometown, OR 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
August 10, 2017
Ms. Amy Hightower
VP of Human Resources
14 Pinegrove Ave.
Sometown, OR 55555
Re: Retail Store Manager, Job Ref. #12345, Advertised on Monster
Dear Ms. Hightower:
I offer 12 years of experience managing day-to-day retail operations for stores generating between $10M and $15M annually, making me an excellent fit to your Sometown store manager opening.
Since graduating from XYZ University with a BA in business, I have progressed through increasingly responsible retail management assignments, including serving as store manager at DEF Company (my present position), electronics department manager at GHI Company and assistant store manager at JKL Company.
In each position, I drove the attainment of revenue, profit, shrink-reduction, customer satisfaction and sales-volume goals. My ability to propel goal-surpassing results and motivate employees to deliver top performance has been demonstrated through accomplishments that include:
I share ABC Corporation’s commitment to building an environment with the highest level of customer service, team morale, merchandising standards and store operations. To arrange a meeting, please call me at (555) 555-5555. Thank you for your time.
See all sample cover letters on Monster.
Having a clear and informative cover letter is imperative in securing just about any job, and even more so in a management role. We have a number of writing strategies to help you land a great job as a retail manager, helping you establish your credentials with a potential employer.
If you need a place to start, however, our professionally drafted cover letter sample can point you in the right direction. In a hurry? Let our cover letter builder do the work and get things moving faster.
Table of Contents
- Retail Manager Cover Letter Sample (Image)
- Retail Manager Cover Letter (Text Format)
- 5 Tips for Writing Your Retail Manager Cover Letter
For any kind of management position, the devil is in the details, so make sure your resume is immaculate. For more advice, see our five tips below.
1. Retail Manager Cover Letter Sample (Image)
The below images show both the Retail Manager Cover Letter and the Retail Manager Resume. Download your own free copy by clicking the link below.
Create My Cover Letter Now
Download the Retail Manager Cover Letter Sample in MS Word
Not exactly what you want? We have a collection of cover letter examples to help people interested in various fields.
2. Retail Manager Cover Letter (Text Format)
Dec. 16, 2016
Director of Marketing
Nordstrom – Westwood
412 Santa Ana Dr.
Los Angeles, CA, 90210
RE: Marketing Manager Position
Dear Mr. Kerry:
I am writing to apply for the position of Retail Manager at the Westwood branch of Nordstrom at the Westwood Mall. I have in retail as a manger since 2010 and have a wealth of experience in the fashion and clothing industry. In my current position as a manager I have been responsible for over $150K of revenue above and beyond company projections, and have significantly cut costs for my branch. As a matter of fact, my current store has been awarded best branch in Southern California under my supervision.
Beyond simple sales numbers, I have directly trained a large amount of new employees and have shown myself capable of motivating and organizing my team to restock and decorate our store in a very short time. I maintain friendly relationships with all team members and upper-management and corporate alike, and am often compliment for my friendly and helpful demeanor.
Between my years of experience, capacity in management, and career achievements, I am confident I would be a fantastic addition to Nordstrom at Westwood’s management team. If you are so inclined, I would jump at the opportunity to visit you for an interview. Thank you for your time and consideration of my application. I look forward to hearing back from you at your convenience. Thanks again.
3. 5 Tips for Writing Your Retail Manager Cover Letter
1. Be specific: Make sure you are clear about your previous roles and exactly what your achievements and responsibilities were. Management positions have clearly delineated responsibilities – make sure your cover letter shows you can live up to them.
2. Emphasize skills: Experience is great, but to really shine as a Retail Manager, show that you have what it takes to be in charge. Talk about your motivational abilities and showcase experiences where you used leadership skills to get the job done.
Showcase experiences where you used leadership skills to get the job done.
3. Quantify: If you can use numbers, do it. Avoid simply saying, “Trained multiple employees.” Instead try, “Trained 7+ employees over a 10 month period.”
4. Sell yourself: The point of an application is not to simply explain what you’ve done before, but to show you are the right choice for the job. Instead of numbly listing some responsibilities you had, write about what you achieved while carrying out those responsibilities.
5. In their own words: Take words and phrases from the original job posting and use them in your cover letter. This shows hiring managers you are speaking directly to their needs. Don’t force it, but if you can smoothly stick a few in there it will work to get an employer’s attention.