It is recommended to approach this stage after you have chosen the proper topic and analyzed it in details.
Brainstorming is another key issue in developing your essay topic. The word is generally used to denote a process of a very intensive mental work when you must think of and note down all ideas and associations concerning the topic that appear in your mind.
Try working along such scheme:
- Start with asking yourself a lot of questions like “Who?”, “What?”, “Where?”, “When?”, “Why?”.
- Write down everything that comes into your head without evaluating the idea as being good or bad. Do not try to structure the notes in any case at this stage, just note down anything that you can imagine.
- Then, read the list carefully. Now try to find the words that have something in common thematically and unite them together using some special symbols. For example, use a circle around all the words referring to the same ideas.
- See how they correlate with the topic. If you can see the way it can be applied, try to make up a topic sentence out of the key words belonging to one group.
- Then do the same for the second group and so on.
- After this, use the sentences for an outline of your essay.
Brainstorming is not so easy. The simplest and most affordable exercise is to choose a topic and to write at least 10 ideas, related to it, every day. However, if trained and developed on a regular basis, it will help you a lot not only in essay writing, but also in business context, where decision-making techniques and the art of coming up with the most unusual creative ideas are of primary importance.
As soon as you have a proper topic, analyzed it and got a list of ideas, you are ready for the next stage.
Brainstorming is an effective and efficient activity to generate new ideas, thoughts that eventually lead to the solutions of several problems at a time. Brainstorming can be performed in groups or you can do it on you own. Start brainstorming session, when you are refreshed and relaxed to produce ingenious, original and creative ideas. Sit at the table and write down as many ideas on this subject as possible. Do not be afraid to sound silly, write everything that comes to your mind.
The next step is to bind your ideas and to assemble them into several topics, which require more careful investigation. Then jettison all other ideas, especially strange or irrelevant ones. Once you have finished this process you will see that you have come up with the idea which can serve as the starting point for essay writing.
Steps of the process in detail are:
1. Come up with the existing problem that should be investigated. For many people, the problem has some negative meaning. But here, you should present some facts that should be explored; it does not mean that they have to be negative ones, e. g. "The efficiency of Basic Health Care for Cats".
2. Present it clearly. Every person who reads it should understand what you intend to say.
3. Discover as many solutions and answers to the problem as possible. Do not be shy to express your ideas. You should write down all solutions you have thought of, even if they seem bizarre to you.
4. Select several (approximately five or six) ideas you like best. Set several criteria that give the best answer to the problem. Criteria may start with the word "must" or "should".
5. Score every idea (from one to five, for example) depending on how well it corresponds to the criterion. Once all ideas have been scored, sum up the points.
The idea with the highest score is actually the best one for writing an essay. Nevertheless, keep notes of all the ideas because even the best idea might not be work in the future.
If you still can not find the right topic, consult our essay writers or your tutor. No doubt they know the answers to all your questions.